Kickstart is a youth (18-35) entrepreneurship programme which has been implemented successfully in parts of Africa. Kickstart is aimed at creating a culture of entrepreneurship among young people by promoting business awareness and material support.
The programme funds youth owned businesses through
- Developing business skills through training
- Providing grants as start-up capital (new businesses )
- Grants to support expansion of existing businesses
- Providing post investment support (mentoring & coaching)
- The programme funds youth owned businesses through business training, seed capital, post investment support (mentoring and coaching). Entrepreneurs with the strongest business case win grant funding.
The programme is intended to empower the youth to create their own jobs as youth unemployment in Africa is an important stakeholder concern and provides an opportunity for engagement to build reputation.
IB PLC Foundation`s KICKSTART Entrepreneurship Initiative for youths between the ages of 18 – 35 is back for its second year. This Season 2 of the initiative comes fresh on the heels of a very successful Season 1 that saw 25 lucky winners receive grants to kick start their businesses. The programme was first launched in Ibadan – Oyo State, on the 6th of August, 2015 to a good reception. IB PLC Foundation, a subsidiary of SABMiller, wants to keep its promise of fulfilling dreams and supporting young and brilliant minds on how to get employed, create jobs, and create wealth for themselves through its KickStart programme.
The programme run by IB PLC Foundation, has the ultimate goal of the programme is to helping to build a prosperous society by helping to create a culture of entrepreneurship among youths, thereby reducing youth unemployment in the South West. The KickStart programme is one of the ways the foundation seeks to achieve this goal
- The competition is open ONLY to South Westerners of 18 to 35 years who live or have their business within the South Western region.
- Applicants must be at least 18 and at most 35 years with valid identification (e.g National I.D; Drivers Licence; International Passport; Voters Registration, etc) as at the last day of the application period.
- He or she must be willing to operate the business on a full-time basis.
- Have an innovative business idea in need of a start-up capital.
- Or already have an existing small businesses needing capital to expand operations.
- Must be energetic and have an entrepreneurial leaning
- Must be able to read and write.
A number of top entries will be selected based on the merit and quality of their business case by a team of seasoned judges. Each form will be scored against the “Screening Sheet”. The sheet will be used to grade and rank all submitted application form, the score gotten from the submission will be debated upon by the judges to ensure alignment and common ratings. For clarity of purpose and fairness to all applicants, the Screening sheet is an internal document. Scores are not shared externally.
Successful applicants will then undergo an intensive business training sessions for one (1) week.
The modules for the training will include:
● Human Resources
● Business Plan Writing
● Book Keeping
● Income Statements
At the end of the training, applicants will be given one month to write the final competing business plan which will be submitted in person at the Head Office in Ilesha, Osun State.
● Each judge is given a copy of each submission document for review.
● Judges convene to interview applicants on their business plans.
● Business plan and interviews for each applicant are rated and scores aggregated to determine winners (Kickstart Finalists).
● The judges’ decision remains confidential until the Awards Ceremony and Grant Presentation.
● The decision of the judges is final and cannot be contested.
This will be the grand event and winners will be announced and presented with their prizes. It will be a high profile event with government functionaries and business persons in attendance.
MENTORING & MONITORING:
The awardees will have access to carefully selected expert assistance through mentorship and coaching for the period of a year. The Kickstart Finalists are under the obligation to observe and implement the advice as tendered by the mentors. There will be monthly update on the progress made and business performance which will be shared with the Foundation and IB PLC Management.
Application Closes on September 7th, 2016.
For more information and to apply , CLICK HERE