Here are a lot of options in natural illness treatment one can consider to treat cold and flu.
- Hydrogen Peroxide in ears (be careful if you have sensitive skin. only use 3% and dilute if needed)
- Removal of all grains, dairy, sugars, etc.
- Consumption of only water with chlorophyll and herbal teas
- Garlic in water followed by cinnamon honey tea (twice a day)
- Chamomile, Yarrow, Catnip and Peppermint tincture (every 3 hours)
- Cool nettle, red raspberry, alfalfa and peppermint tea to sip with grapefruit seed extract added
- Elderberry syrup every 2 hours
- Vitamin C and Zinc every 2-3 hours in small doses until bowel tolerance
- Apple cider vinegar gargle and drink every few hours if they will take it
- Hot tea with melted coconut oil before bed
- Onions and garlic on feet during sleep
Herbs to Help Remedy Cold and Flu
There are many herbs that support the body when healing from an illness. Balancemebeautiful.com recommends buying these from a trusted source online or growing them yourself, though you can find some of them at supplement stores.
Some natural doctors say this is the only herb needed for illness treatment. It contains large amounts of vitamins and trace minerals and helps the body stay hydrated and remove toxins. In a tea with Red Raspberry Leaf, Alfalfa and Peppermint, it makes a powerful immune supporting and illness preventing remedy.
Elderberry is well known for supporting the body, especially during flu. You can find conventionally made elderberry syrups at many stores now, or to save money, make your own.Here is the recipe.
In capsule form, ginger can greatly help with nausea and vomiting associated with the flu. It can also help with high fever and headache. Fresh ginger root can be steeped in boiling water to make a tea that is very effective against sinus symptoms and congestion.
Unsurpassed for flu and fever, and great for children. If used abundantly in tea or tincture at the beginning of an illness, it will usually shorten the illness to less than 24 hours. Yarrow is especially good for fevers as it induces perspiration and is great for all childhood type illnesses. It is naturally bitter, so it is often good to include peppermint and stevia leaf when making a tea. It is great for the liver and kidneys and supports the endocrine system.
An absolute staple, especially for kids. Chamomile calms the nerves, helps children sleep better and reduces inflammation or fever. Soaking a chamomile tea bag in warm water and placing over an eye for 15 minutes every 2 hours will relieve pink eye in less than 24 hours. Chamomile tastes great and is easy to get kids to take. We use it in tea and tincture formula. It is also great for regulating hormones and for the skin and can be used regularly for good sleep.
Great for all digestive disturbances and for lowering fever. It can be used as a tea or tincture or rubbed on the skin to bring a high fever down. Peppermint is an antimicrobial and antiviral and kids usually love the taste and could be consumed as a hot tea or cold tea during illness in any amounts.
A traditional cold and flu remedy, and a great herb for children. It helps induce sleep and settles the stomach. As a tincture or tea, it is a great herb for combating flu, cold or other illness.
Very high in nutrients, Red Clover purifies the blood and relaxes the body. It is used in hormonal preparations, but is also useful in treating almost any illness. Can be used in tea or tincture.