The Oyo State Government embarked on an Employee Verification exercise with a view to eliminate fraud, errors in the payment of salaries, wages, pensions as well as to determine ghost workers. The Employee Verification exercise includes the following objectives:
1. Ascertain the actual number of employees in the regular employment of the State by various categories.
2. Determine who is a bonafide beneficiary of the salaries/wages/pensions paid by Government.
3. Ascertain the level of compliance in respect of mode and format of payment of salaries e.g. payment into bank accounts ensuring recipients have the mandatory NUBAN Account Numbers and BVN numbers with all the appropriate and identified matches.
4. Eliminate fraud in the payroll system by ensuring that only identified, deserving and regular employees receive the salaries being paid.
5. Eliminate all forms of duplication and irregularities that may lead to the inflation of the payroll via the nominal roll.
6. Put in place a strong Payroll System with controls for eliminating future errors and fraud.
7. Fish out ghost workers.
8. Ultimately, ensure the authenticity of the Government’s Wage Bill.
Consequently, the Nigerian Interbank Settlement Systems Plc (NIBSS) was sought out to help in achieving these objectives. These external consultants were invited and engaged to ensure non-interference and the eventual production of a comprehensive, trustworthy verification process.
As you may know, the database of this interbank agency contains the Bank Verification Number (BVN) of all bank account holders in Nigeria.
By matching our employees Bank Verification Numbers with other personnel data voluntarily supplied by all workers, the consultants were able to determine the consistency or otherwise in our staffing records.
Meanwhile, those who had to pass through this stage of the verification exercise are as follows:
EMPLOYEES IN THE OYO STATE PUBLIC SERVICE
After this forensic computerized data audit, the consultants from the Nigerian Interbank Settlement System (NIBSS Plc.) found many instances of inconsistencies, variations and entry details that did not tally.
In all, 16,532, employees out of a total 100,250 analyzed were found to have such issues requiring further clarification.
DETAILED FINDINGS FROM THE STAFF VERIFICATION EXERCISE. Below analysis carried out on:
81,775 core MDA, MDA Pensioners, SUBEB , SUBEB Pensioners, TESCOM (Full Analysis)
18,484 Tertiary Institution, LG Staff and Pension
Total = 100,259
CATEGORY 1A-MULTIPLE SALARY INTO MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS
MDA employees drawing multiple salaries
MDA employees drawing multiple salaries
SUBEB employees drawing multiple salaries
SUB Pensioners drawing multiple salaries
TESOM employees drawing multiple salaries
NYSC Corp members drawing multiple salaries
Parastatal staff drawing multiple salaries
LG active employees drawing multiple salaries
LG Pensioners drawing multiple salaries
Tertiary employees drawing multiple salaries
MULTIPLE SALARY INTO SINGLE ACCOUNT
MULTIPLE SALARY TO SINGLE NAME
EMPLOYEES THAT HAVE PASSED RETIREMENT AGE
BANK ACCOUNTS LINKED TO INVALID BVN
BANK ACCOUNTS WITH NO BVN
INVALID BANK ACCOUNT/NAME DETAILS
EMPLOYEES WITH MISMATCHED NAMES
EMPLOYEES WITH ISSUES
EMPLOYEES WITHOUT ISSUES
NOTE: 906 members of staff have details that overlap/appear in multiple categories. We have NOT compressed the entries as this will give an inaccurate picture of the implication in terms of both the individual anomalies and the monetary amount.
1. The salaries of the 16,632 employees as noted be immediately suspended pending further investigation.
2. The issues as observed be further evaluated.
3. On categories 1A, 1B & 1, the extent of multiple salary payments should be determined, refunds pursued and legal actions embarked upon accordingly.
4. Recover all monies credited but not accessed.
5. For all categories, all the employees concerned should face a further verification panel to be constituted by His Excellency with adequate time line.
6. Once the exercise in 5 is completed, concerted efforts should be made to ensure refunds of illegally paid drawn salaries.
7. For all the categories, where employees have been found culpable, further disciplinary actions including prosecution should apply.
STAFF VERIFICATION EXERCISE PROPOSED PANEL MEMBERS
1. DR. MUYIWA GBADEGESIN
2. MRS TOLU SHADIPE
3. CONSULTANT’S REPRESENTATIVE
4. UNION REPRESENTATIVE – 1
5. PERMANENT SECRETARY (FINANCE) – SECRETARY
My highest regards.
Source: Oyo State Goverment Media Team