There was a fire outbreak at the  Accident and Emergency Unit of the University College Hospital, Ibadan on Tuesday, destroying the central air conditioning systems and other equipment.
The blaze, which started around 4:15 pm at Medical Store Casualty Unit of the Accident and Emergency Unit according to eyewitnesses, was said to have been caused by a gas explosion from the Central Air conditioner.
The University of Ibadan (UI) fire truck was on ground to quell the fire before the Oyo State Fire services came to assist them with two fire trucks. Both teams able to stop the fire around  5:00 pm.
There no fatalities or casualties reported, but the incident caused chaos in the hospital and patients had to be evacuated to nearby facilities.
While inspecting the damaged facilities, the Chief Medical Director of UCH, Prof Temitope Alonge said the fire started around after 4pm during his hospital rounds.
He said:”I was at the second floor of the theatre complex building when I heard shouts from people crying for help. I saw smoke coming out of the ward and I came around immediately to help.”
Alonge confirmed that there were no casualties and no injuries, staff or patient were recorded.
“From what I gathered, what happened was that earlier in the day the head of electrical department noticed that the solar panel switch had a fault. the fault it triggered sparks in the equipment and they attended to it, but since it was not directly coming from the main supply from Ibadan Disco they decided to put on the power supply, so the sparks ignited the insulator around the central air conditioning system and that was where  the problem started from.
“Since our central Air conditioner had stopped working for a while (before the incident), I believe it was the spark from the solar panel that ignited the insulator around the central air conditioner,” he said.
The CMD said he was extremely impressed  with the way  the members of  staff of the hospital worked hard  to stop the fire, adding that some people even climbed the roof to prevent the fire from getting out of control.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here